Thursday, February 11, 2016

Starting a new endevour

As far back as I can remember I've been interested in plants.  There is something about how they start from a tiny seed and grow into something as enormous as a Redwood Tree.  My goal for this blog is to start organizing my thoughts as I expand my garden, yard, and landscape into a natural organism.  I would like to grow more native grasses, wildflowers, shrubs, and trees, and eventually grow enough to start making some extra money.  You will see some non-native plants but my overall landscaping vision is to stick with natives.

On to the plants...  We had another freeze last night with frost covering my truck's windows and the Knockout Roses by my driveway.  This afternoon I took some quick pictures of projects that I'm working on around the yard.

I started a bunch of saw palmetto (serenoa repens) in the fall and only 2 sprouted. If you look closely there is one longleaf pine (pinus palustris) and one sabal palmetto.


This is the beginning of my nursery.  It's gradually growing every week.



I have roughly 100 angel trumpet (brugmansia suaveolens) cuttings that are hopefully rooting.  Most of these in the 1 gallon pots are recently planted.


 Hibiscus cuttings showing a little green.



Cleaning up around my shed.  My goal is to extend the roof so that I can store firewood and my wheelbarrow without being rained on or covered in leaves.



Cuttings that I planted tonight.  Lantana, milkweed, and boxwood.  Let's see how well they root.


As I continue to write more blog posts, I'll update the progress of these plants, the expansion of my tiny yard nursery, and thoughts to grow more!  

No comments:

Post a Comment