Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Free Plants Are Always Great!


It's starting to feel like spring but I keep hearing that later in the week we will have another burst of cold down into the 30's.  I'm ready to leave all my sensitive plants out for good!


I got to work today and a co-worker gave me 3 'Little Gem' Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora).  I gave her 3 tomatoes yesterday so I think I made out better in the trade.



A free lawn mower ends up being $100 and a free dianthus plant???

Here's the story, right before I moved across town, my neighbor put his broken Troy-Bilt self-propelled push mower out by the street with a sign that said "Free". I rolled the mower over to my house and tried cranking it with no luck. After a couple weeks went by, I met a retired veteran on craigslist that fixes mowers and he had it running in no time! I used that mower for the last few months but stopped using it after getting my grandmother's 1960's International Cub Cadet riding mower. Anyways, I put the push mower on craiglist, met a buyer at Walmart, and he offered me below what I wanted; so he went inside to get cashback and brought back a 45 cent dianthus plant and the $100! I'll take any plant as a gift! When I was teaching, my favorite gift from a student was a Norfolk Pine!


Not the best picture but does anyone know what kind of weed this is?  I have them all over my yard and think they are nice looking.  


Other projects from around the yard:

Growing hydrangeas in soda and peanut bottle greenhouses.  The softwood cuttings are sprouting leaves but no roots yet.

Organic Gala Apple seeds we planted about a week ago.  Four of the five seeds sprouted!

Florida avocado, Hass avocado, and pineapple

Compost area of my yard.  I expanding away from the black bins and using pallets.

Planted a bunch of seeds for our garden.  Squash, zucchini, bush beans, green peppers.  We will see what grows.

My helpers!

No comments:

Post a Comment